Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Taking Stock

I've been fortunate enough in the past week to have a trickle of extra income land in the bank account. One cheque was for a project I worked on for an old client, the other was a long sought after backpay of an Irish pension - an ongoing battle since 2008 which many have helped me with. I had given up and then got a letter saying they had reviewed my case and I was entitled to a few crusts, not much in the overall scheme of things but I was happy to get even this tiny acknowledgement of what was rightfully mine.

All that to say that with my two guests leaving tomorrow after breakfast, I have blocked every day for further bookings until Monday next. My doctor called me in today to check on a few health items. One being my blood pressure which is still alarming. He stopped me from taking my own readings as I was becoming obsessed with it. He was also concerned with how stressful my life is with having to earn a living by hard work along with a projected move and my demanding municipal position. At my age, he said, I should be smelling roses and relaxing and planning some trips. I allowed my hollow laugh.

Out walking with my young friend, she had mentioned in light of my vascular pain that I should see about pain medication. I have a dismal level of tolerance to pain. A low threshold has plagued me for ever. I always feel like a wuss when I'm with those who are stoic and tearless along with being much worse off than I. Example: I kicked the delivery room nurse when delivering my first daughter. I apologised later for being so far out of my mind.

Doc reviewed my meds and said to try low dose Tylenol and see if that would help with exercising. The obvious solutions (such as pain medication) often elude me. My brain is strange uncharted territory.

I'm going to use the next few days to take stock of health: physical, emotional, social, intellectual and spiritual and play with the plans for the new place and draft out the next few months and concentrate on the huge amount of interest by potential purchasers for my house.

The whales of St. Vincent's have been magnificent this year. Hundreds of them "in" in this magnificent weather.

Daughter has booked us a 5 day trip to St. Pierre & Miquelon, long on our bucket list, for the end of August. I'll have to dust off my rusty French. Luckily, I've had a few PGS who were just there and have passed on some amazing hints to me from their recently being on the ground, so to speak. The best restaurants, Josephine's for tea, and the best museum and tours.

So yes, off to France we go. Ooh la-la.


24 comments:

  1. I'd love to see those whales, and your trip to France sounds lovely, too...Is there any method of pain relief that might help you which doesn't involve taking pills? Some of those meds are dangerous for other reasons...Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He said the ibuprofen type I can't take. So we'll see. He'd Moe me to codeine if the Tylenol doesn't work well. The wait and see game but I hear ya, thanks.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. Have you heard of a devise called Resperate? It is a biofeedback devise that you use to become calm and lower your BP. It helped my husband enormously and 10 years later he still gets it out every few weeks to keep up with it. Used ones(ebay) are in the 100-125 US$ range. New are now @300! Perhaps your doctor could prescribe for you? Gentle yoga or chair yoga is VERY helpful with chronic pain management. Persistance :) Your upcoming trip sounds marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stuff I learn from blogmates! Thanks Candace. I will research that. I doubt if it's covered but my birthday is coming up 😎. Sounds like an amazing device.

    I've been trying some exercises but the pain halts me. But onward today with the Tylenol.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to know you'll be taking a wee break from your summer guests, giving time for relaxation and contemplation. Your upcoming rip sounds delightful (a little geography lesson for me there too - thank you!)

    I can fully sympathise with your BP problem, and related restriction on pain killers for joint and other discomforts. I understand it's because BP (and other) meds affect one's liver and/or kidneys, as do certain pain-killers such as aspirin, naproxin, ibuprofen & others. I asked our doc if I'd be alright taking Aleve very occasionally and just 2 tablets, not a course of them, and he said it'd be alright, if used very occasionally (as would the wee dram of an evening, provided that it is "wee"). I hope Tylenol does the trick for you.

    I can relate to that obsession with checking BP - went through it myself phase a couple of months ago. I think the high BP has a hand in making us feel stung out and obsessed anyway, then we become even further strung out and obsessed after checking BP and that raises BP even more (classic vicious circle!)

    The device mentioned by Candace sounds like a very good idea. If my probs ever return I shall investigate that- have bookmarked a website. Thanks, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two schools of thought on the device. One saying it is a cheaply made scam that falls apart. But yes, I agree with the premise. Remind ourselves to breathe more slowly.

      Tylenol - a low dose - is relieving much of the pain, what's left seems manageable, he did say I can move to codeine but I'm reluctant as I liked it too much in the past, a faint pleasurable buzz and detachment :)

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. the trip - wonderful
    I cannot tolerate pain medication
    what helps me
    takes the edge off
    Tylenol Arthuritis
    I take 2 with breakfast and 2 in the evening
    always with something to eat
    and best thing
    inexpensive over the counter....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With me I'dhave to make sure it doesn't adversely affect my internal organs, Ernestine. But I'll keep it in mind :)

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. I am back again after reading the comments.
    I do yoga in the morning in bed when waking at 5:00.
    Also some chair yoga and sometimes use a 10's unit.
    Inexpensive on Amazon - all of these help with pain.
    Now I have progressed to cortisone shots several times a year in shoulders and knee - no surgery now that 80 has arrived and would not want anyway.
    So this healthy one, who always exercised and good diet
    lasted until 79 - told that is good but still do not like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling all too well Ernestine, having done the Tely 10 (10 mile annual road race) 2 years ago. I look at all my race medals and sigh and think: that stupid heavy smoking from 19 to 40+ did me in. How I wish I could preach to the young, but I wouldn't have listened at their age because I was living forever, LOL.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. Your trip sounds lovely (and I had to click the link b/c I did not know where/what that was....)!

    Isn't it funny that we're supposed to track these health issues, and then when we do, it becomes worse for us? I have a touch of health anxiety and any little thing sets it off. Just trying to do the basics (the old counting my blessings, being proactive about an awful situation, deep breathing exercises) and see how that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He took me off the tracking as I stress easily. I have to hold my hand back from my neck when I feel missed heart beats as I dread the panic attacks of the old days (Hospitalized a few times).
      Feel a fool, know what I mean.
      I try to focus on the positive and I do find when I'm being creative that all thoughts of my body leave me.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Well, where would we be in this weary world without the energy of people like you? A little Tylenol won't hurt you. I'm a person who really values comfort, too much, probably, but I find that Tylenol does just fine for "everyday" pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is helping Hattie, the more severe of the aches is reduced to a dullish thrum. Relief is sweet.

      Yes, I love my comfort too.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. Have a grand time in France. Great time to be going there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it's a floating section of France set free in the Atlantic near Newfoundland, Ramana?

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. Loved the whales! Hoping you'll come back from the trip with renewed vigour and normal blood pressure!
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Maggie, these last few days off have been such a blessing!

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  11. Oh, that's great you're going to France. That will be wonderful. Hope that helps lower the stress levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all in the planning and see response to Ramana up there in case you think it's mainland France, LOL

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  12. I'm not surprised your doctor was concerned about your stressful lifestyle. You should indeed be relaxing and smelling the roses. Perhaps you should give some thought to winding down down some of your activities - like your municipal duties. Of course the stress of your planned move will subside once you're settled in so that will ease things a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could afford to I would Nick, in a heartbeat but financial needs must. I patch together a few streams of revenue but once the house is sold I can get back to my true passions.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  13. Hoping you'll come back from the trip with renewed vigour and normal blood pressure!


    เย็ดสาว

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.