Thursday, September 29, 2016

Life on the Farm Day 5


The editing got stuck today but a story I was working intensely changed direction on me and took me by surprise.
I went off out to ponder and mull in this glorious weather and came across this strand by the side of a lake with the mountains in the distance. I hadn't realized there was a conference going on. A Canada Geese Conference. They all becamet quite irritated at this human intrusion and scattered.

I took another picture of this fantastic place:


And then headed towards the mountains which were breathtaking, the trees just on the point of turning crimson but nowhere to stop and take a photo.

I try and find common ground with the young mister and missus. They don't believe in reading as everything you'd ever want to know is on their devices and the television. He goes off hunting daily to help his buddies bag their moose quotas and as they all have children he lets their moose kills go ahead of him. He also sells a few cords of the wood he has prepared and she crafts some lovely wooden décor for walls. For example one is a box-shelf at eyelevel made out of repurposed barn wood which holds many photos in barnwood frames. Very attractive.

I find their disinterest in my life quite humbling, because in my twenties I'm sure I felt the same way about old people. What on earth could they contribute to a conversation, they were used up, finished, done. So I'm content to ask them questions and think how very fortunate they are to be living their dreams out loud and lustily while still in their mid twenties. They seriously love the lives they're living. And their parents and their grandparents all live within the wider circle. And most of them came back from the tar sands of Fort McMurray to do so. Long before the wildfires.

I'm very much the student here.



7 comments:

  1. Perhaps considerate of your need for space and solitude, and you are right about being the student where you are...hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I'm in the age bracket of their grandparents and I'm quite aware of that. I learn (sadly) that shelving dreams is not a very good thing though I, and many others, have had to do so to survive.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. This farm-stay of yours is intriguing Mary. I'm on friendly terms with people aged between 25 and nearly 90. Its fascinating to wonder what the younger ones in particular see when they look at a 68 yr old. I try to consider what I say, not to judge or pontificate, to listen - not hard as I'm insanely nosy! I like an awful lot of people but I'm afraid I can smell a phony now a mile off and "junk" them quick! Finding your whole trip like a book I can't put down. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my closer friends has just turned 29 Anne and views me as a contemporary. But I am an unknown to these two and find I'm probably grandparented which is cool. I do listen to the young and reign in any pontification. Especially with these two who have taken enormous chances to follow their dreams. They work so very hard but their delight in what they're doing is tangible.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. At age 57 I feel I'm a peer of anyone over 20, and am surprised every time I realize they aren't really seeing me; they've slotted me in as someone too old to relate to, darn near invisible, certainly not of much interest. It's humbling, all right, even though it does seem a shame. I was probably the same at their age and wonder if even now I do it to people 20 or 30 years my elder. Bet I do! and not even aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know. I think I have stuff in common with those in their forties and find, to my shock, I don't. At least not in their minds. Payback time for us, I guess!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Young people not really interested in older people's affairs is universal WWW. I compensate for it by associating with people of or closer to my age and that makes a great deal of difference to sharing our pluses and minuses with others.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.