Thursday, June 23, 2016

Reflections on African Soup


For those interested, here's the recipe. Roughly. It changes according to my mood and I've adapted it to the most reasonable combinations of ingredients. In season.

An immersible blender helps as it does in most soups. So if you're a serious soup maker go find yourself one. Easy on line shopping. I bought one for Daughter for her birthday. As no kitchen should really be without.

A good stock is essential too. I keep a big glass jar in the freezer part of my fridge and always save my vegetable water, fish stock, et al in it.

List

Stock - any amount top up with regular water if you have to and a veggie or oxo cube. Enough for 4-8 cups of liquid.
Pumpkin - 2 cups I use canned being in the frozen north
Root vegetables, turnip, carrot, yam, sweet potato, parsnip, whathaveyou - about 8 cups after chopping. I love to add chopped kale or turnip greens in season too.
Garlic: chopped fine
1 huge onion, chopped
2 tablespoons of curry - reduce if you don't like it too hot.
Salt, pepper
1 can of coconut milk - I use the powdered kind and add another cup of water.
1/2 cup peanut butter.

Method

Fry the onion and garlic in a little light oil to transparency. Then add the spice, saute for a minute or 2 to mix nicely.
Add the stock and veggies all at once. Then add the pumpkin and everything else. Stir really well.
I usually simmer this for a couple of hours.
Then I use the immersible blender to smooth it all together, leaving a few veggies floating around unsmoothed.
I serve in big bowls with crusty bread or my Irish soda bread or as a meal over rice or with salad. I decorate the top of the bowls with a couple of peanuts, a dash of toasted coconut and a swirl of unsweetened whipped cream if I have them on hand.

Check to make sure the consistency pleases you before blending. I like it thick.

Everyone loves this soup. It evolved from a retreat I was on many, many years ago. And it was an Irish chef who showed me the ingredients which were not as varied as mine.

For instance he used canned milk rather than the coconut and stuck to sweet potatoes and pumpkin only.

I much prefer my version. As do my guests who lap it up.

It freezes beautifully. I often get 10-12 servings for future use.

So there ya go.

You're welcome.


14 comments:

  1. That sounds tasty, I will save it and add to my long list of soup recipes for the autumn/winter. Thank you WWW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it goes GM. I hope you enjoy.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. oh my
    sounds so good
    and I practically live on soup
    with cooler weather.
    Thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get a chance to try this E!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that would go over well here too. One of our winter favorites is simple potato soup with raw red onion and plenty of grated cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potato and leek is awfully good too Sharyn. I sometimes blend in some chickpeas for added protein.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. Fascinating. Since it is vegetarian, I shall arrange for an Indian version to be made at home. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make a version of this with the Japanese pumpkin we get here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make a soup very much like this with sweet potatoes, carrots and peanut butter. It's delicious and I also freeze batches of it. I'll have to try adding coconut milk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although it's hot and humid here, being a soup lover from way back, must give this soup a try. Sounds and looks delicious! Thank you for the recipe. Marj

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.