Thursday, July 24, 2014

Stay Where Your Hands Are


I said this to a friend this morning. She was panicked. About everything. I know how that is. You pull the thread from a small hole and a vast new terrifying landscape appears through the bigger hole you're creating.

I needed to say it for myself too. I caught myself fretting about the Tely 10 race coming up on this Sunday, about my appearance on a post by the venue hosts of my recent performance. Self criticism is one of my old reliable default standbys. I'm an expert on beat-myself-up behaviour. Instead of feeling thrilled about the reception my performance gave I focussed on my poor posture, my stomach roll, you name it: I'll inflict self-shame on it.

Her call pushed me upright. In more ways than one.

And I look at my hands for they will:

Cut up my healthy lunch for today,
Get me suited and booted and socked and...
Lead me out the door for a training walk,
Write this post,
Reach out to someone else today,
Pick up a bit of knitting to bore the inner monster,
Lift up and read a beautiful West Cork history book given to me by my sister
Type up a few daily emails to distant friends and loved ones.

I am sickened by so much - Gaza, Ukraine, the dying bees, you name it, the list is endless. And it was and is and will be ever thus. There is nothing, apart from outrage and outcry that I can do about it all. All of it noise: Internal. External.

There be dragons out there where my hands are not.

I can't feed them too.

16 comments:

  1. Hello my friend. You inspire me. Breathe into those beautiful hands.
    Sending love,
    v

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to stay where your hands are. I'm clapping mine in your honour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So am I, WWW (sickened that is). I sometimes have to blend out what human beings are capable of doing to each other otherwise I'd surrender to despair.

    Hands - yes, what would we do without our hands? Which is why it doesn't pay to steal a loaf of bread to feed your kids in a country where they chop your hand off for it.

    U

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is such a lot of bad news just lately and no one seems to be able to do a thing about any of it.
    Wouldn't it be good to have a *Good News* channel on TV to balance things up?
    I like to keep my hands busy too and we can make a difference to many around us.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. Verna:

    As you do me.

    Breathe. Yes.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post and am grateful for your timing. The sale of my daughter's house fell through yesterday and as she was arriving here to assess and regroup I read your words. She wasn't in a place to receive advice, but I was reminded that I can "stay where my hands are" so gave the support and listening ear that I can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah GM:

    Just when I needed a cheering section :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ursula:

    The world is "too much with us" at times, can't remember who said that but it's as valid today as never before.

    Irish people were sent off to Australia in convict ships forever for stealing even half a loaf when their children were starving.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. MM:

    Yes, busy hands, the devil gets bored, unless we're doing his busy-work.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon:

    Thanks for that, it's extraordinary how our words can fly out and help another, isn't it.

    I hope your daughter can visualize a better sale ahead.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have already reached "out to someone else today" by writing this post. How we all need these words and insights.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We all must do what we can, at least keeping ourselves going. Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true Hattie, in spite of challenges, some have it worse than others.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  14. The world has been like that for ever. Just enjoy what has been given to us is my motto.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you. My daughter and friend both used the phrase "I stay where my hands are." I think it is a good 7dea.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.