Friday, July 11, 2014

My Life Model - Part 2


Ansa calculating the years in her life and the life in her years.

You couldn't make this stuff up. Here was I writing yesterday about my dog Ansa and the beginning of her life with me and......

I was out and about with Ansa later on yesterday when a truck pulled up beside me with a couple in it.

"OMG!!" the couple shrieked in unison. They pulled over to the side of the road and clambered out of the truck.

Yes, it was the couple from way back - 9 years ago now - who had been ordered to surrender all their dogs due to neglect and a form of benign indifference to the needs of their 12 animals.

"She should be dead by now!" was the next enlightening comment as they surrounded Ansa who clung to my ankle bones and winced when S, the male of the couple, put out his hand to touch her.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well," said K, the female of the couple, "We got her when we met, she was 6 weeks hold back in March of 1999."

Back in the day, S hadn't a clue as to how old Ansa was when he dropped her off on that dark and stormy night of May 2004. My vet had estimated she was two or three years old at the time. S is not, by even the wildest stretch of the imagination, a guy with the elevator running all the way up to the top of the building. K, on the other hand (he is her fourth husband) is fairly alert and together.

So that makes my lovely girl 15 which is not very likely for a mainly border collie mix, the average life span being 12. The rare ones have lived to be 15.

We left the KS couple rather quickly, Ansa and I. In unseemly haste you might say.

"She's a bloody miracle!" they shouted after me. Well, yes.

But when I look at her now, my heart flutters a bit.

How many more days, will I have her?

I don't even think in years anymore.

And maybe that's another life lesson from my girl.

A day at a time.

That's all any of us have.


27 comments:

  1. She looks like a sweetie. Lucky her and lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her number of years don't really matter - it's the Life in those years that is important. Bless you for giving her that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We sound so much alike. I find myself saying and asking the same things about my Miss Minga. I try hard to be strong about it, but there are times that I cannot hold back the tears. It took me awhile before I had to admit there weren't 'years' left anymore so I now count our time together in weeks. I don't know how old she is in feline years, but 22 years is a true miracle.
    Mary
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. She certainly looks wonderful and as if she has a few more years. A friend of mine has a similar kind of dog who lived to be 19.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our girl, who looks much like Ansa, is 13.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and loyal Ansa and your very special relationship. It brought a tear to my eye to remember my special companions and the rescue tomcat I now have. I've enjoyed all your posts involving lovely Ansa and hope there are many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molly:

    I can't begin to tell you how much she means to me!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. VH:

    So very true. For all of us, yeah?

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. MXT:

    Oh my goodness! 22 years! That is something. None of our cats lived that long. My Walter who was more of a panther lived to 12 only. But I've never forgotten him, he was one special "biker boy".

    Long may your days be with your beloved Minga.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Hattie - you made my day!! who knews. She can do about 5k right now and the first 1k is a run, so fingers crossed.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. SJG:

    Excellent news. Ansa is about 45lbs in weight.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unknown:

    Well thank you!! And welcome to my world.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely tribute to a lovely companion. Yes, they teach us so much, not the least of which is to appreciate every single moment. Thanks for the beautiful photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Somehow I think they will give us advance notice Mary. My Josie [my sidekick] will be 13 Aug 8th. OK so far ... she runs like a pup but also sleeps far more than she used to and she crawls into bed with me as if she was a person! She is small and could live to be 20 but who knows? I feel I can't leave her even for a weekend as I know she suffers so much. I think Ansa will tell you and you will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think taking long walks with Ansa not only makes her happy but probably will extend her lifetime.
    I would have been afraid that couple you met on the road would try to take Ansa back. Eek. People are so strange. Ansa is lucky to have you and vice versa.
    AjA

    ReplyDelete
  16. Verna:

    Thank you so much! And yes they so keep us in the moment. Bless them.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  17. BB:

    I hate leaving Ansa too, she gets so upset. But I have words (and an old sweatshirt) that comforts her when I'm gone. It's nearly worth going away to see her so ecstatic when I get back :)

    I love your Josie :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anon:

    Yes S of the couple has a nasty edge to him. After 9-1/2 years I don't think they would want her back. But I am careful. They have moved back to the area as his mother died and he was left the house.

    So vigilant. :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  19. The bloody miracle is that Ansa met up with you and got away from such irresponsible owners. How telling that she clung to you and shied away from S. Still terrified of him after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just read both posts - sounds like you're both lucky to have the other in your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nick:

    Animals have incredible memories.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  22. SAW:

    We are equally fortunate alright :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  23. My border collie x was almost 17 when she died. If it wasn't for a cancerous growth on hew leg I think she would have lived for another year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for your reviews on Internet Movie Database. You saved me from seeing the Grand Seduction. It's good to see another smart woman reviewing movies on there. Ansa is a beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The last comment was from me too.

    Luminosity

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.