Saturday, July 19, 2014

Humanizing

More beach blossoms

I was never one to be totally star-struck. Or project feelings, mine or their imagined, on to those that are famous. I remember a wise old shaman saying to me a long time ago:

Allow those famous people their humanity, their foibles, their twists, they are just like you and me under the skin: insecure, unsure and emotionally immature.

And they are. A few have crossed my path recently. The so-called beautifuls with their strong bank accounts, their youth, their life styles, their talent, their fame, their incessant media coverage.

I thought when I met one: does she truly know how beautiful she is? How talented? That her skin is flawless, that her smile lights up a room?

And of course she doesn't. None of us do. Because that would make us a notch above, would make us vain and unapproachable.

And she was imminently approachable. And lovely. And as we chatted, I shared with her a story from long ago when I was hopelessly in love with someone who treated me poorly and I was laughing about it, telling her I had had a card from this man after we had broken up and he had signed "Love, John" in his neat scholarly hand and I (to the horror of any poor sucker in my sphere of orbit)incessantly analyzed and over-analyzed it: what did he mean, does he now realize he loves me and can't live without me, is he afraid to speak up and pour out his heart, has he changed, surely he must miss me?

And we laughed and laughed and laughed. And then she said: I have texted and texted this latest flame of mine who's away for a couple of weeks and he hasn't responded and I had myself convinced his cell-phone is broken.

And we laughed again.

Twins underneath in our common humanity.


9 comments:

  1. Always, always we are more alike than we are different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How right you are SAW. It never ceases to amaze me :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Around 1960 my father-in-law, featured in a earlier post, was flying to Australia. His seatmate in first class and he had a long time to talk, he asked him what he did for a living. Told he was an actor, Adm. Kauffman asked him if he could make a living at it, and shouldn't he have an alternate plan. It was Charlenton Heston, of Ben Hur fame. He assured my FIL that yes, he could feed the family on his acting salary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The famous are also very human when they let their guards down. Unfortunately, their very fame precludes them from doing that often. I know two who are really very nice people but have to maintain a certain distance to keep their privacy and sanity intact.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.