Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Word


Daughter gave me this one the other day. There's a certain acquaintance of ours who fits the bill and we had individually suffered at his hands mouth. Maybe more than once. Maybe far too many times.

Anyway here it is:

Blatherskite


blath·er·skite [blath-er-skahyt]

noun

1.

a person given to voluble, empty talk.


2.

nonsense; blather.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1640–50; blather + skite skate
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
blath·er·skite


/ˈblaT͟Hərˌskīt/


noun

noun: blatherskite; plural noun: blatherskites; noun: bletherskate; plural noun: bletherskates



1.


a person who talks at great length without making much sense.



•foolish talk; nonsense.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


And yes, we used the word blather a lot in Cork, as in: "Oh she's full of the blather" or "At the bar, he blathered on and on."

But to actually find a noun, a glorious noun to fit the one who's doing the blather?

Brilliant she is.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Cathy said...

Wish my Dad was still with us - I'd be able to tell him he could call someone a blatherskite instead of a blathering idiot!
Take care
Cathy

Wed Feb 12, 07:01:00 AM GMT-3:30  
Blogger Marc Leavitt said...

WWW:

I've oft heard rants and blather
From silly folks who I'd rather
Ignore on all my days and nights -
Those dull and boring blatherskites!

Marc


Wed Feb 12, 09:42:00 AM GMT-3:30  
Blogger One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Love it
and it immediately
brings to mind
several
and will not mention
their names...

Wed Feb 12, 10:30:00 AM GMT-3:30  
Anonymous nick said...

A good word. I also like gasbag and motor-mouth. And of course that lovely phrase, She could talk the leg off a donkey.

Wed Feb 12, 10:31:00 AM GMT-3:30  
Anonymous Rummuser said...

You will be surprised as to how many blatherskites I have in my life. I am now an expert in avoiding them. I wonder if there is an equivalent for someone who writes a great deal of balderdash.

Wed Feb 12, 11:54:00 AM GMT-3:30  
Anonymous Grannymar said...

Blatherskite sounds like verbal diarrhoea, I wonder if they are sisters of drivel?

Wed Feb 12, 05:03:00 PM GMT-3:30  
Blogger Stan said...

It's a fair while since I heard this word spoken, though I see it now and then online. Blatherer is a more common beast in my experience, but it lacks the force of that great -skite bit, with its strong echo of a very Irish swear word.

Thu Feb 13, 08:18:00 AM GMT-3:30  
Blogger Hattie said...

Poor conversationalists who love to talk.

Thu Feb 13, 12:45:00 PM GMT-3:30  
Blogger Secret Agent Woman said...

Blather has long been a favorite word of mine.

Sat Feb 15, 01:33:00 PM GMT-3:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]