Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Word


Daughter gave me this one the other day. There's a certain acquaintance of ours who fits the bill and we had individually suffered at his hands mouth. Maybe more than once. Maybe far too many times.

Anyway here it is:

Blatherskite


blath·er·skite [blath-er-skahyt]

noun

1.

a person given to voluble, empty talk.


2.

nonsense; blather.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1640–50; blather + skite skate
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
blath·er·skite


/ˈblaT͟Hərˌskīt/


noun

noun: blatherskite; plural noun: blatherskites; noun: bletherskate; plural noun: bletherskates



1.


a person who talks at great length without making much sense.



•foolish talk; nonsense.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


And yes, we used the word blather a lot in Cork, as in: "Oh she's full of the blather" or "At the bar, he blathered on and on."

But to actually find a noun, a glorious noun to fit the one who's doing the blather?

Brilliant she is.

9 comments:

  1. Wish my Dad was still with us - I'd be able to tell him he could call someone a blatherskite instead of a blathering idiot!
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. WWW:

    I've oft heard rants and blather
    From silly folks who I'd rather
    Ignore on all my days and nights -
    Those dull and boring blatherskites!

    Marc


    ReplyDelete
  3. A good word. I also like gasbag and motor-mouth. And of course that lovely phrase, She could talk the leg off a donkey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be surprised as to how many blatherskites I have in my life. I am now an expert in avoiding them. I wonder if there is an equivalent for someone who writes a great deal of balderdash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blatherskite sounds like verbal diarrhoea, I wonder if they are sisters of drivel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a fair while since I heard this word spoken, though I see it now and then online. Blatherer is a more common beast in my experience, but it lacks the force of that great -skite bit, with its strong echo of a very Irish swear word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor conversationalists who love to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blather has long been a favorite word of mine.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.