Sunday, January 12, 2014

Carpe Something.


Daughter's kitchen and its wall of cast iron goodies. All of which she uses regularly.

Daughter brought her cream of broccoli soup, gluten-free, dairy-free, legume-free. I made my smoked salmon frittata. She also brought muffins.

We sat in front of the fire and ate this delicious repast. And got caught up. There has been limited visiting with each other because of the weather. So this time together was to be treasured. Later on we had a long walk, the old boreens were pretty packed with others carpe-ing while they could. We admired the sea views, the clear blue skies, how joyful Ansa was on the walk, the fellows out cutting wood on the edges of the road, the fellows with half a moose on the back of their trailers.

We spoke of of the Newfoundland Grand Blackout of 2014 which seizes every bit of writing and reportage around these parts and even to the national level. Our premier, Kathy Dunderdale, has been blistered repeatedly for her arrogance and down-talking to the peasants, basically telling us peons it wasn't a crisis even though people were dying and elders moved from senior homes to generator-run hotels in the dark blizzards of the night on stretchers borne down countless freezing concrete emergency stairs. Rumour has it that Kathy was banjed off on a beach in Florida and had to be dragged back kicking and screaming into darkened Newfoundland by her handlers to orate to her pitiful peons. As some pundit put it so well: "She speaks to the residents of the province like some vice-principal berating a class of poorly behaved 4th graders." She does.

But we survive. About which I've written previously. The kindness of strangers and neighbours and that Irish dark humour that keeps us all going. And emergency preparedness like torches and wood and batteries and candles. Note to self: buy some kerosene when it's back in stock again for those decorative oil lamps.

16 comments:

  1. Such a rough time you've had! The weather has wreaked havoc far and wide this winter, hasn't it? Stay safe, and as warm as you can. Hunkering down with daughter sounds a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's terrible when those in charge, refuse to be in charge and blame the victims on top of that. Was she elected to her office? Maybe it would be better to have appointed officials only and that way she could be fired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite a collection.
    I have about 10 pieces and most were my mother's and grandmother's.
    They never wear out
    and will go on and on
    longer then this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad things have eased up on you. I couldn't live without my cast iron Dutch oven and my grill.Best cookware there is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irish dark humour (and any other variety of dark humour for that matter) is vital for getting through difficult situations. If I didn't invariably see the funny side of things I'd be climbing the walls by now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab collection. I have one item only and can hardly lift it now with weak fingers and wrists.

    (BTW, I don't think the O'Farrell book is worth bothering with. I found the "padding" very irritating. It got mildly interesting in the second half when secrets came out but this stereotypical dysfunctional family had no resolutions....it just tailed off. Grrr)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pauline:

    I think everyone has suffered in one way or another. The weather here is just balmy today, the big melt swept a lot of the snow away :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Irene:

    Yes, she's the equivalent of a prime minister but not of a country, of a province.

    Elected. Sorta. Put in place by her predecessor when he retired
    early and then her party voted in.

    We all thought a woman would turn this province around from rampant oil greed and infinite speculation to one of caring and compassion. More fools us.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to see things outlast us, OWJ.

    I love the wee treasures I have from my mum and granny.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hattie:

    Me too, I have some lovely pieces and use them every single day.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pamela:

    Ah so the only good one was Esme. I know I read 4 of her others, gift from my Dublin friend who adores her.

    I put her one below a Harlequin or Steele. One big formulaic yawn.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nick:

    Yes humour can see us through the darkest of days. No pun intended.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Impressive set of cast iron cookware!

    Humor makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My kitchen is too small for such an arrangement but I would like to have a wall like that to make my life easier!

    I have been following your FB posts and admire you your fortitude. I was away down South for eight days and missed some of our coldest days here. It is however nice to get back home.

    Not carpe diem?

    ReplyDelete
  15. SAW:
    Absolutely essential in my day even if it is only laughing at myself!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ramana:

    I've done a lot with my wee kitchen, used to be the pantry when I bought the place. shelves and hooks make all the difference :)

    I loved your pics of the family :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.