Friday, September 20, 2013

A Stranger's Eyes


I was sharing the following with Grandgirl today. She's here for far too short a spell, she arrived late yesterday and leaves on Tuesday. We did some serious hiking today, capitalizing on the glorious weather. As we were climbing the woodland trail at the back of the property, we both turned to look at the panorama of ocean and forest and distant headlands. I was reminded of a visit from a technician the day before.

We greeted each other like old friends. Us CFAs tend to do that. He nailed my accent as very southern Irish. I nailed his, first time, as Liverpool. I was a friend of a friend of the Beatles. Yes, those ones. Another story for another time. So we shared some backchat. As one does. He was ex-airforce and on the side had his own diving company. He asked me could he walk about outside, it being another Denim Day on the Bay and I agreed. This fine weather has been trailing me since I left here for my trip to Ireland in mid-August and got back here early September. Maybe talking about it now is going to jinx it.

Anyway, as I was saying. Yer man walks about the meadow, then out front to the water then back again up to the barn and then to the Tigeen, shaking his head.

He finally came back in again and said:

"You know you live in Paradise, don't you?"

Well, I do know that. Of course. But lately, that paradise feeling had been overlaid a bit with my stay in West Cork and then the excitement of Grandgirl being here for some days taking precious time away from her second year university courses.

So I told her what the tech had said. And we both stopped to drink in the grandeur and majesty of the my forest trail and the sea off in the distance.

"Sometimes," she said, "We need to revisit our world through a stranger's eyes."

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like Wisewebwoman has a very wise grandgirl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a lot of ways, Molly, she is far wiser than me :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to be reminded. I think I'll do that tomorrow out at the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SAW:
    I hope things are going well for you on your break.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Often, even, to keep ourselves pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's true that if you live somewhere all the time you can easily take it for granted. I tend to forget that I'm so close to a huge river estuary, some lovely beaches and even lovelier mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes "sometimes, we need to revisit our world through a stranger's eyes."
    Have this comment made to me many times.
    Lately, I see a lot of work that
    I am not able to do at this time.
    I remember I moved to this plot of woods for a natural nature setting and somehow over the last 4 years
    have been steadily grooming.
    I will return to my original plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't hold out on us too long with that "Beatles" story, darlin'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And that's why we should not hold out for paradise until after our death, but realize it is right here on earth where we are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a good day when your breath can be taken away by the familiar... have been catching up on your posts - I've been away - and am pleased to hear of your new play plans!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stan:

    There's nothing like keeping ourselves on our toes!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nick:
    I was many years living in Toronto before I knew that this wonderful magical walking trail ran along all these ravines right through the city.

    Often we need to be re-introduced to our own back yards.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. OWJ

    Where ever did we get the idea that Mother Nature needs to be groomed?

    And I am equally guilty.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  14. SJG:

    I will try to drag it up soon....:)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pauline:

    thank you, I hope your time away was of the good kind!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. From the photographs that you you have been posting, I too think just as the tech did.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ramana:

    Yes, I am very fortunate.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our own doorsteps, through the eyes of a stranger OR the eyes of a child, can be a very magical place!

    No need for a television to pipe in nature and its wonderful chorus, when you have it all around you every day, ever changing as the clouds travel above to colour the canvas..

    ReplyDelete
  19. GM:

    Lovely poetic description indeed.

    Thank you!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.