Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Blog Jam



Today Yesterday is was a monochromatic day in the outport between the snow and matching sky and water. Even the trees can't assert themselves with their white cloaks.

Everyone is hunkered down, in front of the fires or the big screens or their i-phones.

Ah, the i-phones, bleeding what's left of outport cellular internet connection to leave me with sporadic or worse - the message “searching for network”. All day.

I took the opportunity in the last few days of ploughing and pruning through all last year's cards and my shamefully overflowing in-box of 1,100 emails. Between the cards and the emails there is some pre-dump hesitation. Always. I feel so callous rubbishing some – the thank-yous for the sympathy, the notes I get from good people who take care of the elderly and homeless, love-notes from friends and family, photos that really don't mean much to me as they involve other unknowns, like a friend who was re-united with the child she gave up for adoption 65 years ago. Yes, you read that right. A most happy and wonderful re-union. Unlike most. I've had other friends who attempted the same and were firmly rebuffed. It must be like playing Russian roulette. It takes huge courage. And it does not end well in 80% of cases.

And on the same theme, I hear other stories of long ago, whispered in the night, of young girls giving birth in secrecy and their parents “taking care” of the child. A sad little pile of dirt behind the barn. All because of Christian censure by the clergy, neighbours and family. A secret murder being more honourable than the birth of a bastard and a daughter being “spoiled”.

And of young sons being whacked across the back of the head with a shovel before puberty and rendered simple. Simple enough to take orders without question for the running of the farm sans the desire to leave it for big city lights. And who was to notice or judge back then, when others were doing the exact same thing. Indentured slavery.

Ah, the stuff I hear, don't be talkin'.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like your weather is headed this way We are promised -1°C feeling like -5°C and dropping! A time to bed in and talk across the airwaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting correspondents, you seem to have WWW. I get pathetic stuff compared to yours though I suspect that the volume is likely to be about the same. We are in different orbits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reunited after an adoption 65 years ago? That's amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting how you mention stories of murdering the life force on the eve of Imbolc - a day to revere that very same life force. It is as if that very life force is using your wonderful seanchaĆ­ skills to remind us of darker times.

    Happy Imbolc! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gawd! You're telling horror stories ... I didn't know about these things happening in our "modern" (ha) and "tolerant" country. But now that you put it in my face, I can almost see it ( the baby murdering, the shovel to the head in order to keep a son to slave on the farm) happening ... even around here where I live (Sask). Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very thought invoking tidbits you have here in this post, WWW...

    ReplyDelete
  7. GM:
    I was out today but Friday apparently is going to be a doozie, so glad I got some groceries in today.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ramana:
    Oh not all of it is interesting, just the odd bit. though I do love the little thankyous from clients and friends and other assorted notes.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nick,
    yes it was and he went looking for her as both his daughters had breast cancer and he was seeking the hereditary linkage. He literally fell in love with his mother. It is so joyful. And I am so happy for her as she carried this burden every day of her life and her husband (now dead) never knew of it.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Orla:
    I do believe it was the so-called "honour" killings in Ontario that triggered my riff.
    Was there ever such dishonour?
    And yes, St.Brigid and the druids are in season today!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. SJG:
    I think there is so much we don't know about times not too long ago.
    Especially infant murders and forced slavery of children on farms, etc. I just finished reading The Virgin Cure, highly recommended and much the same theme - the disposable poor.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. BG:
    Not too distant past either, one of my friends, her parents (teenagers) had their baby taken by the daughter's father and "disposed of". She has often thought of this child who would be her true sibling.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness, WWW, all I get in my email is potions for member enlargement!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do so hope that this is gossip, pure and simple. I know bad things happen, but . . . .

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.