Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Anti-Disappointment



I had mentioned to another CFA* who is part of my theatre troupe, that I was having severe withdrawal from intellectual stimulation, discussion of ideas, critical thinking, etc. She, similarly afflicted, had found her solution in a book club par excellence which took place the 3rd Monday of every month about 45km from here.

So off I toddled today. The library where it was meant to be held was temporarily flooded so a member of The Hook & By Crook Book Club held it at her home. What I had not anticipated was this lavish lunch being served first. There were fifteen of us around the table and as it turned out, I knew or had heard of about 1/3 of them. One of them an author of a well loved local book, others from a choral group out of St. John's and still two more who had emailed me about a year ago requesting me to conduct a writers' workshop.

I've never felt such immediate comfort with such a large group of people in my life. They were all, without exception, extraordinarily well read, erudite, witty and with carefully thought out opinions on the topics the book had raised. And so very kind. I was exhilarated.

The next meet up is in December in another member's home and we will all be fed again, pot luck this time, and the price of admission is a well loved book from our own libraries, packaged up beautifully and given away with enclosed personalized comment.

I honestly think that the last remaining void in my move here has now been filled.

And so extraordinarily well.



*Come From Away

16 comments:

  1. That's wonderful, WWW. I'm glad your intellectual and social void is filled. This reading group will certainly keep you on your toes. I can't wait to hear which books you will be reading. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you. I can identify with your elation. I have been grounded from my own comfort zone, our local joggers' park, since July and am really looking forward to being able to go there every evening to be with my kind of people. All going well, after the third week of December, that should happen and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I called up three other women and asked if they'd like to go to the theater and out to dinner. Now we see every show our wonderful small theater does and have a great time.
    The book club would probably be fun too. I'm going to Portland Maine next month to see a performance of The Snow Queen. Years ago I wrote music for a danced version of that story so I'll enjoy seeing a different version. It helps to meet up with other people with the same interests. I enjoyed seeing how much the other women appreciated being invited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very fortunate that you discovered the book club. Intellectual stimulation is hard to find these days in a world of dumbing-down and knee-jerk responses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it great to find like minds and companionable folk with whom to discuss ideas? Glad you had the luck to tumble in with that lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. there you are then, that's excellent.

    Hope it continues as promising as you saw it this time. The full meal would be a bind for me, but if it doesn't turn into a competition, all well and good.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nora:
    The first one up (for me) is a Margaret Drabble. I do like her.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ramana:
    Not too long to wait for you now. I had felt the dearth of my Toronto stimulus for a few years now so I am super happy!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharyn:
    I do take in quite a bit of wonderful theatre here but it didn't quite fill the void for me. Maybe it is because I am such a gabber!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nick:
    Well said. I find the world is changing to what you describe, slack-jawed while watching the teevee every night with no independent thinking going on at all. It is terribly sad.
    I am so glad I found this group.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pauline:
    I feel incredibly lucky, they are such a find!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Friko:
    Normally everyone takes turns bringing plates of sandwiches to the library for the clubmeet. December will a be a special with everyone bringing their 'company' dish to a volunteer member's house.
    It doesn't sound competitive at all.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh fantastic - it is so wonderful when you get to find a group where you just 'click' with everyone there. I am so happy for you - I hope you have many years of joy with them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on finding your own. It's not always easy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jo:
    I was actually thinking of you when you moved to NZ and found your niche so quickly also. It took me a while to find mine but all in its own good time.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hattie:
    I think by breaking out of our self-imposed comfort zone (and boy can I lie low in said zone!) the rewards can be enormous.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.